Certified Wreck Diving at Tulamben's USAT Liberty from Padangbai
Enjoy two exciting certified wreck dives at Tulamben's USAT Liberty shipwreck on this PADI full day, small group, scuba diving experience from Padangbai. This is one of Bali’s most popular shore dive sites. The Tulamben’s USAT Liberty is a 120 meter long shipwreck, the remains of a US World War II freighter that was torpedoed on January the 11th, 1942 at 4:15am.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- All necessary equipment
- All taxes and fees
- Hotel pickup and drop-off (selected hotels only in Padangbai, Manggis and Candidasa areas)
- Lunch and snacks
- Professional guide
- Bottled water
What's excluded :
- Hotel pickups and drop-offs outside of the Padang Bai, Manggis and Candidasa areas
- The Tulamben's USAT Liberty wreck lies just 50 meters from the beach after being torpedoed by a Japanese submarine while crossing the Lombok Strait carrying (rubber and railway parts) from Australia to the Philippines. Two US destroyers hitched up to the ship and tried to tow it to the port of Singaraja but the damage was immense and the Liberty was taking on a lot of water. The Liberty ship's captain ran the vessel up onto the beach of Tulamben, miles away from safe harbour. For 21 years the Liberty stayed there. Locals of the Tulamben area secured all items of any value on-board including parts of the ship's deck.
In 1963, the Liberty shipwreck was pushed to her present location by the fatal eruption of Bali's Gunung Agung volcano. During this process, the Liberty's hull broke into two pieces. Now it is laying on a sandy slope 90° on its side parallel to the shore. The Liberty's hull faces Tulamben's shore while the shipwreck's deck side faces the ocean.
Bali's famous Liberty has perfect depths for scuba diving, ranging from 2.5 to 29 meters. There are a couple of impressive swim throughs. Be cautious because the structure of the wreck is unstable, year by year parts collapse.
Good growth of encrusting animals cover Tulamben's Liberty wreck. Marine biologists estimate that about 400 different species of reef fish live on the Liberty. On occasion, this site is visited by big pelagic species. Turtles and blacktip reef sharks are a common sight, while many critters find refuge in the Liberty's nooks and crannies.
Groups of 4 divers maximum will be with each professional instructor. This is for your safety and enjoyment. Private guiding is optional.
(8am) Arrive and meet your professional guide and group members. Fill in your paperwork, prepare your equipment and enjoy a complimentary hot beverage.
(8:15am) Hop on the bus to Tulamben. You will enjoy breathtaking views of the Balinese countryside along the way.
(10am) Take your first shore dive on the world famous wreck after an explanatory briefing.
(11am) Have a one hour surface interval between your two dives.
(12pm) Enjoy your second dive on the 120 meter long wreck.
(1pm) You can have lunch on the beach. The standard lunch box is a Nasi Campur which is an assortment of small dishes with rice. You may also choose a vegetarian option or sandwiches if you request this at least 24 hours in advance.
(2:00pm) Depart from Tulamben for your one hour journey back to Padangbai.
Who should take this Dive?
This trip is for certified divers only. Certification from most agencies including PADI, SSI, CMAS, NAUI, SDI and more are accepted. Please bring your certification with you in order to be able to dive.
Departure Point :Your Padangbai, Manggis or Candidasa Hotel. If no hotel pick up is required please meet at Padangbai Beach.
Departure Time :8am from Padangbai and 8:15am to 8:30am at hotels in Manggis or Candidasa
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- All passenger heights weights and shoe sizes MUST be advised at time of booking
- Diving within 48 hours of flying is not recommended. All participants will be required to complete a health questionnaire prior to diving. Some pre-existing medical conditions (eg asthma, heart conditions, etc) may prevent you from diving, please consult your doctor
- Evidence of dive certification is required from all divers wishing to participate in a certified dive
- May be operated by a multi-lingual guide
- Please advise any specific dietary requirements at time of booking
- Vegetarian option is available, please advise at time of booking if required
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 8 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.